According to the 2015-2016 Washington State Dept of Health Smile Survey, researchers found that of the 13,000 kindergarten, second and third grade participants, nearly 53% of third graders have had a cavity and 40% of kindergarteners have already experienced tooth decay. While both of these figures are improvements compared to the 2010 Smile Survey, we as parents and dental professionals still have a long way to go.
Here are five simple tips to help your child have a healthier mouth:
1. Reduce the amount of sugary sweets and drinks your child consumes. Replace sports drinks and soda with water or milk.
2. Brush for 2 minutes 2 times per day with a fluoride toothpaste to help rebuild enamel on teeth. Children under age 3 only need a grain of rice sized amount of toothpaste on the brush, while children 3-6 years only need a pea sized amount.
3. Encourage flossing once per day (parents~ this goes for you, too). By not flossing, you and your children are missing 30-35% of the surface area of the tooth leaving it defenseless against those sugar bugs! Remember, Floss like a Boss because Plaque is Whack!
4. Check with your local water authority to learn if they are meeting federal Department of Health guidelines for fluoride in the water supply per new 2016 standards. If they are not, speak with your dentist about fluoride supplementation products. https://www.doh.wa.gov/CommunityandEnvironment/DrinkingWater/FluorideinDrinkingWater
5. Regular check-ups with your dental hygienist and dentist. Allowing dental sealants to be placed to help seal out decay and for professional topical fluoride application.
Rainier Dental believes in taking great care of mouths of all ages. It is so very important to bring your children into the dentist regularly beginning from their first tooth. We can't wait to see you in our office!
Abbigail R. Armendarez, RDH, BS
I was born in Seattle but raised in the city of Puyallup. I have a Bachelor’s degree in Allied Health with an emphasis in Dental Hygiene. So yes, I am a registered dental hygienist. I love interacting and getting to know people. I am a new addition to Rainier Dental and truly look forward to meeting patients.
When I can, I try to steal away on hiking trips with my best human being from Canada. I enjoy travelling and reading. I’m quite the paradox for when I am not travelling, I am a true homebody who enjoys the company of my mom and my feathered friend whose name is Silly.
We are extremely excited to announce the official roll out of our brand new, in house discount dental plan called Rainier Care! For a low monthly subscription amount of $29 per person, Rainier patients receive two recare visits per year, (six months apart) including any needed diagnostic xrays, doctor’s exam, cleaning and fluoride. Also included is one “limited exam” for emergency situations AND 30% + discounts off of treatment! Our specialists, Dr. Betsy Mosquera and Dr.Eunkoo Kim offer 10% their specialty services, too, as long as the patient remains a Rainier Care patient the entire course of treatment.
We’ve worked up a little comparison against of the bigger discount plans out there, Careington’s 500C plan. Here’s how we stack up:
Limited exam $39 $included
Diagnostic xray $14 $included
All porcelain crown $1284 $895.00
NightGuard $636.80 $410.00
You can see for yourself how we stack up!!
18209 SR 410 East Suite 300
Bonney Lake, WA 98391